Tuesday, November 28, 2017

This is a Japanese expression loosely translated to mean finding the beauty in the less than perfect because it is less than perfect.   As a quilter, this is a hard concept to embrace.  We get so lost in trying to achieve the perfect quarter inch that our work can lose character and end up with no personality.  I yearly take part in the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt challenge over on the Quiltville blog/facebook group.  the clues are given once a week from Thanksgiving to New Years, give or take a bit.  We have no idea what the quilt will end up looking like, its an act of faith in Bonnie's skill as a designer.  This year we have begun with a small block that is challenging.  I was so focused on perfection I was becoming frustrated.  Sometimes if a quilt is coming out wrong I put it away and forget about it.   But why really, I'm not perfect, I'm certainly not permanent and I'm not finished.  This quilt is a step in my growth.  It represents me in the stage I'm in and that's a beautiful thing.  So I'm leaving my imperfections, my drip of coffee and my tiny ink spot and someday, someone will look at my quilt and say isn't that beautiful.     
To Join in the fun link up with Bonnie's blog,     http://bit.ly/2hUJQHB                                           #onringolakequilt,   #quiltvillemystery                                                                                             

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your philosophy. It gives me something to think about.I like your colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, earthy colors always work somewhere in my house. Sometimes a theme is nice as well, so I'm thinking of making another (smaller) in spring colors.

      Delete
  2. Love your colors and the blend of prints! And I agree, quilting for me is an exercise in letting go of perfectionism. I hope you have fun with this mystery quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mystery Quilts are always a challenge for me, but that is the idea. I love to learn new things but not let myself get stuck in perfectionism rut where I just freeze. It's all about balance :-)

      Delete
  3. Nice fabric choices! I'm looking forward to the next clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The MQ is always exciting for me too.

      Delete